The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Let's Try a "Sticky" Thread, to Post Photo Tips and Advi

First, the basics:

What camera do you have? If if is a point and shoot, you need to work within its limitation: how close can it focus, what depth of field (area in focus) it has, how much light does it need? Figure out what the limits are and then stay within them.

Cut the flash off. Only rarely do you get great photos of watches with flash. The exception is shooting outdoors when it is cloudy or shadowed.

Use a tripod. No matter how steady you are, the tripod is steadier.

Second, work on your composition:

"The name of the game is to fill the frame". While not always literally true, especially with point and shoot cameras, often you end up with photos which have lots of background and not so much watch. Unless the background adds to the story you are trying to tell, limit or eliminate it. Use this rule in conjunction with:

"Rule of thirds". Shots that are centered are not particularly interesting, especially if all of them are set up the same way. Imagine the frame of the photo divided into thirds vertically and horizontally. Two lines from top to bottom and two lines from each side. These imaginary lines create four intersecting points where they cross. Compose your photo so that the most interesting thing in the photo is at one of those intersecting points and your photos will be more interesting. (Pick out five photos that you like and look at the intersecting points I described, and you will find a high percentage of your favorites have an item of interest at those points. Don't ask me why, but it works to compose your photos that way.)

Third, lighting:

Light has color, and your photos are affected by it. While modern digital photos can be adjusted so the "white balance" is what the camera or software believes it should be (or you), you lose image quality when adjusting it. Color of lighting can be affected by the backgrounds you choose and what you bounce light off of . . . and here you just have to experiment. I find that blue backgrounds enhance white gold and stainless steel.

No glare or shadows. Watches need uniform light with no glare or shadows, but with enough light the second hand doesn't move because the exposure is so long. I use a light tent and two daylight florescent bulbs, which give good color and little heat. However, I have also used a white plastic trash can just as effectively.

That's all for now.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE