The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Reply to Grant (and all) regarding bezel insert

: Steve,

: Great feedback.I hope others can also benefit from your thoughts.
: I realise you are not fitting your insert yet,but do you or other
: forum members know if its a do it yourself job or 'jeweller'
: only task ?
: Lastly,my insert and/or bezel does not move left or right,is this
: correct ?
: Thanks,Grant

Hi Grant,
The bezel on my 11630MH moves both clockwise and counterclockwise in a "ratcheting" fashion. Perhaps yours is somehow gummed up or rusted due to age(?). The re-issue Autavia from 2003 has a fixed bezel but the original Autavias have bezels that turn. I think the Autavia with the decompression bezel (11630P?)only rotates in one direction.
As far as installing the new bezel insert, the seller does provide somewhat limited directions but I personally would be afraid I might scratch the top of the watch case (you "pry" off the entire bezel with a jeweler's knive or blade) so I'll take mine to a jeweler for installation when my current bezel warrants replacement. Popping the insert into the bezel would also have to be done carefully so one doesn't scratch it, I would imagine. It's supposed to be a pressure fit, starting at the 12:00 position and so forth. Again, I'd feel more comfortable letting a jeweler do this for me.
Does anyone else have personal experience with this installation?
Thanks,
Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE