The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New York watch purgatory
In Response To: New York ()

Mark-
Thanks for the great post that freshens up my memory from my twenty years or so in watch purgatory. That NY is inhospitable to vintage watches is strange, even for a flashy city. The fact is that in almost every other commercial aspect, there is a stratification of offerings based on class, wealth, specialized interest, etc. This is a city where, with a little digging, you can find highly specialized art, fashion, food, antiques, books, accesories, and pretty much anything under the sun--except decent collections of vintage watches!!

You are spot on in your assesment of Tourneau--I dealt with the owners a number of years ago when they were seeking a store to rent. They are a product of their success--on the one hand they have introduced many new brands to the US, but it is a gross oversight that they jumble vintage and "pre-owned." Where the "Time Machine" could have been a great departure point for a knowledgable source for vintage, it is vanquished to the basement with the budget brand offerings. Worse is the store's unwillingness to properly train its staff, who are like car salespeople of yesteryear: what Rolex do you want to buy today??

Kenjo has really nice modern collections and will take pieces in trade, but they clearly do not have an abiding interest in vintage, a pity because they are in a great location on W.57th Street.

I am very suprised that some of the boutiques: Lauren, Paul Smith, Armani, have not seized the gap here. Wth their European sensilbility and connections, they could have a lock on the vintage trade, which I think would complement their core business rather nicely.

Glad you found at least that one decent shop and the race display at Macy's (you mean you didn't buy a gold-plated Citizen Esquire?)--here and there, some dealers in Greenwich Village will have something decent, but it is usually just dumb luck and they will have virtually no knowledge about the piece.

As for 47th Street, it is like Hercules descending...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE