The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Is this a real or a fake chronograph *PIC*

Hello all,

Great to find that there's a Heuer forum just when I needed it :)

This is my story. Today I received a Tag Heuer chronograph I bought from a guy selling it in Yahoo Actions here in Japan. Although I felt kind of reluctant about purchasing a US$1K watch without having a chance to inspect it first I decided to purchase it as the person selling it had over 1100 watches sales in over 3 years with only one negative feedback. Great. At least he sounds like he has a good reputation. Looks like he is not going to rip me off. Back on topic. So I received the watch and after closely inspecting it, something felt like it wasn't right. I can not tell oy for sure what was, but as someone who has worn a Heuer for the last 3 years (my Heuer recently got lost in the garbage thanks to my 1 year old daughter) this one just looked so "different". The first thing I noticed was the logo on the backplate (is that how you call it?). The embossing on all the Heuer watches I have seen look really deep and this one looks so "thin". The other thing that raised my suspicious was the letter "t" next to 'swiss' and 'made' (pictures attached). Finally I decided to compare it to a real Heuer and I could nto find one single picture of a Heuer that looks like this one all over the web. The closest I've been able to find is the 2000 Classic, but that one has a number 12 while mine doesn's have it. It just sounds too suspiscious not being able to find a single picture of a similar watch all over the web.

I was checkig the Auction history of the person who I bought the watch from, and he has been selling Heuers, Rolexes, Omegas, etc. without any negative feedback so before making an ass of myself and complaining, I would like to have some opinions from the experts on this forum.

FYI, I kocked off the belt pin while trying to put the watch around a can so I can take the pictures. Stupid me.

I would appreciate any info. If further pictures are needed, please just specify from which angle and I will try to post them ASAP.

I don't know how to attach more than one picture, so I have included a link to my Yahoo phoo album here: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paul2k/album?.dir=/2ef0

Thank you very much in advance

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE