The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 1533 in an 1133 case..
In Response To: Re: 1533 in an 1133 case.. ()

They seem to have been pretty much on top of their Carrera volumes, certainly by '72 when they were introducing the Cal 15s. I'd say it would be quite rare to see a Carrera in the "wrong" case and I suspect most of those we do see have had a movement/dial transplant.

I think they were surprised the Cal 12 Carrera lived as long as it did, but the 15s were intended to supplement sales of the 12s rather than cannibalise them. That said, it's very clear that Heuer often used parts that were on hand, which is why we end up with so many transitional watches that appear to be original rather than put together later.

About the proliferation of V cases in non-Viceroy watches - my understanding is that Heuer were initially caught short by the unexpectedly high demand for the Viceroy promotion, did they then over-react and order in many more cases than they needed? Meaning they were then producing watches in leftover cases for years after the promotion had ended?

Seems incredible nowadays that they would associate their brand with smoking like that, but I guess it was a different age - and it's not that long ago that McLarens looked like rolling fag packets (sorry, cigarettes, before I bewilder our US readers too much!!). At least it's more subtle on the Ferraris, although it does mean they aren't the "proper" shade of red...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE