The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Marius: Thanks for Excellent, Thought-Provoking Message

Marius:

Thanks for this message, which touches on so many interesting issues. We have discussed some of these issues before; you have presented an interesting perspective on all these questions.

None of us seem to be pure investors, buying now with the hope of selling for a profit in the future; only a couple of our readers are declared "dealers" (roughly defined as those who hold themselves out as being willing to buy and sell watches, etc.)

One could look at my collection and accuse me of being an accumulator. But for me, the real blessing of being in a strong market is being able to sell watches as my tastes may shift, without incurring a loss in doing so. For example, a few days ago, I sold the Autavia shown below for exactly $3,000. It sold in just a few hours, after another purchaser busted our deal. Yes, this sale represented some reasonable "profit" above my purchase price (five years ago), and this "profit" will likely be rolled into another watch (or some part of another watch). This ability to buy a watch at $x,xxx and sell it some time later for 1.3 times the purchase price (or even 3.1 times the purchase price, if we get lucky) definitely makes it easier to buy them and enjoy them. So they are not a pure investment, but it is nice if this hobby can be self-funding (or at least partially self-funding).

I buy them to enjoy wearing them; if I am no longer enjoying wearing a particular watch, then I will sell it; in this scenario, I am happier selling at break-even (or some profit) than selling at a loss. And, yes, I have sometimes bought to resell . . . the $1,500 BuyItNow Monaco was an exciting find, two or three years ago, and the profit from flipping it is now embodied in another watch (or maybe bought a month or two of college tuition).

Any way you look at it, I love this hobby . . . it is even more fun in an up-market (or a market that is only slightly down over the last year).

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Always interesting to get a feel for the market,but on the other
: hand,do any of us really consider our timepieces as objects of
: investment?

: I don`t think I`ve ever bought a watch thinking I would somehow
: profit from selling it at a later point in time.
: Don`t get me wrong,it`s not that I couldn`t use the extra cash,but
: to every piece I`ve acquired there`s always been a look or a
: feel that I have connected to in some way.

: Not to mention the craftmanship and "magic" that lies in
: making pieces of metal work together so precisely and in
: tune,that it actually can measure time with my movement as the
: sole source of power.I love the whole technical aspect that lies
: underneath a well designed surface!

: Of course I`ve sold a few watches on the way,but only because I
: could not connect to it or because I needed to clear out for
: something even better,and on very few occasions has there been a
: profit to be made.

: I`m probably being a sentimental sap about this,and if I ever get
: to the stage where I`ve got a safe full of NOS Sifferts and
: whatnot,I might see them as a means of investment.

: But the market is us,the collectors,and we create the flow of money
: in our pursuit of these watches.The real question is what makes
: us want them ? The chance to make a profit? I don`t think so..

: Finally I`d like to extend to you all my sincere apologies for
: coming across all fluffy and hippie-like on this subject,the
: people who know me would not attribute this to my nature..

: So what`s the verdict on the whole investment angle: sentiment,or
: monetary value?

: Cheers

: Marius

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE