The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: A surprising set of numbers..
In Response To: A surprising set of numbers.. ()

Not Heuer but interesting and intriguing post nonetheless.

I do suspect a large proportion of those sales are to tourists though - if I were to pick three places where a tourist would go to buy jewellery, I would probably pick Hong Kong, Singapore and the UAE. Other places do indeed have lots of tourists as well, but they also have larger indigenous populations too - six of those top 10 have populations between ~40 and ~125 million (I reckon Taiwan is a jewellery buying location too, but with a large enough local population that it doesn't move so far up the list).

Once you start normalising for the effect of tourist influx on the local population, the numbers close up a lot, though HK is still a fair way out in front.

Interesting to read too that HK is not the place for bargains it once was - in the west, it probably still has that reputation. I haven't been, though I have thought about it - my dilemma is that I love Japan so much that, if I'm going as far as HK, why don't I go just that little bit further and go to Japan? :) I'll probably make it to HK one day though.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE