The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: A surprising set of numbers..

Agree with you Mark that tourist numbers skew the picture- but having said that, there is no doubt that the propensity of locals here to spend large amounts of cash on luxury goods is astronomical. There is one of the world's largest Louis Vuitton stores in Kowloon that last year (pre-crash) would have people queuing outside to get in- not for any special event, just a normal Saturday.

We live in small flats here- and many people don't have cars...so what else do you spend your post-tax (tax rate: 15%) income on? My secretary has three LV bags!

So , yes I agree that tourist numbers are a factor, but I think even if you adjusted for these you would still be blown away by the difference.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE