The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Re-editions
In Response To: Re: Re-editions ()

Hi Mark,great to get your input on this!

You make a very good point when it comes to keeping popular designs available for those who appreciate it.
I would never challenge the knowledge you posses on the carreras,I don`t know the first thing about them.
But whether the line has been broken or not,is besides the point I`m trying to make.

My point in using the Carrera as an example,is that although it might have grown larger,and the appearance has been altered both in detail and as a complete watch over the years,it is still easily recognized as a Carrera.

The Carrera is such a classic basic design,it can be infinetely permutated without losing it`s identity.
Like a Porsche,for instance.From the 904 to the 997,every little bit of the car has been altered in some way,but it`s expression and identity is still intact.
It has adapted to its contemporary timeframe and will continue to do so because it can never be conceived as anything but a Porsche.

Basically what I mean to say is; if a design can`t adapt without losing it`s identity or reverting to a bastardised copy of the original(TAG Heuer Autavia!),it should be killed off,giving developers the possibility of creating something new that may,or may not have the potential of becoming yet another classic,timeless design.

Totally different watches,but definetely Carreras:

BTW;This thread should be submitted to TAG Heuer R&D : D

Cheers!

: I agree with the general sentiment, but even the Carrera line was
: broken when they introduced the 7750 models:

:
: http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/carrera/men/automatic-chronograph-tachymetre/index.lbl?w=CV2010.BA0786

: Granted it still has a case resembling an earlier Carrera's, but
: oversized in comparison; the configuration of subdials bears
: vague resemblance to a Lemania 5100 Carrera but otherwise has
: little in common with earlier Carreras; no Carrera before
: this ever had an external bezel.

: And the Grand Carrera riffs more off these watches than it does
: earlier Carreras - the GCs might be nice watches but their
: heritage is not continuous either.

: In general, I quite like the reeditions - it gives a way for
: someone who wants, say, a Monaco because it looks nice to get
: one, without depriving a genuine collector of a vintage model.
: Horses for courses and that, I have both Heuer and TAG-Heuer
: Carreras, but they are really different watches that share a
: name.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE