The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Perhaps We Can Blame it on the Gasket Goop (and Greed)

Your estimate that approx. half the manual-wind Monacos have "problems" may be attributable to the "Gasket Goop". So many of these dials have been damaged by the oozing black tar, that an industry seems to have arisen in the replacement / refinished dials. Many of these end up in the hands of innocent, well-intentioned sellers . . . and some end up in the hands of people who just can't stand to take a loss, etc.

Odd that we see more problems with the 73633B manual-winds than the 1133B automatics . . . there must be an explanation somewhere!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Agree Jeff, seen a few in dealers as well, but at least getting
: your money back off a ill -informed dealer should be easy
: compared to ebay.

: I spoke to the Boston dealer as i was having a little hunt (couldnt
: resist!) and he told me he was sending both Monacos back to his
: "suipplier".

: Buyer beware all round really, i would guestimate approx half of
: all offered have varying problems...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE