The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Two Words We Fear Most: "Auction" & "Customized"

I think this auction looks pretty important for two main reasons.

- It is the first time (correct me if I'm wrong) that so many vintage Heuers are put on sale in a single auction.
- The fact that Mr Patrizzi himself commits to something of this scale is definitively worth noticing.

For those who have vaguely heard his name, Mr Patrizzi has been the founder of Antiquorum and one of the main leading figures behind the boom, from the late '80s onwards, of vintage watch collecting (notably Rolexes and Patek Philippe) in the world. Now, this boom has had many downs (wild speculation, crazy markets, fakes etc..) that are typical of the extremes of vintage collecting but also many positive effects for the whole collecting community after so many gloomy years. I have met Mr Patrizzi over time when I was collecting Rolexes, and he's exactly as you could imagine: nice, elegant, but also sharp as a razor on his trade and an excellent merchant.

Heuers are definitively not his home turf: as I said, if he commits himself on this project with his brand new auction house (he has left Antiquorum a couple of years ago) means a lot for the brand recognition of Heuers in the vintage watch world.
I am, together with Jeff, very curious about the catalogue, but most of all about the final results of this auction.

:

And finally, a very high quality selection of around 100 Heuer
: wristwatches (as of 1985 better known as TAG Heuer), coming from
: a private collection of 200 examples produced around 1930 and
: 1980 – the fruit of 30 years of collecting – which have
: never before appeared on the market, and included in the
: selection, the classic Monaco sports models, Steve McQueen,
: Harley Davidson, Daytona, Silverstone, Carrera… as well as
: special customized pieces.

: The above quotation is from a press release issued by Patrizzi
: & Co Auctioneers, relating to an auction in Milan toward the
: end of November. The catalog is not yet available, but it will
: be fascinating to see these Heuers. It will also be interesting
: to see whether this market can absorb 100 vintage Heuers.

: So what do we expect when we see these "customized
: pieces"? What might this Harley Davidson Heuer be?

: Link to the press release is below; catalog to be available on
: November 10th. This one should be fun to watch!!

: Jeff

:
: http://www.patrizziauction.com/index.php/en/press-center/press-releases/auction-milan-28-29-november-2009
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE