The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Agreed, Let's see the "Customization" before Judging

I think it's quite exciting to have so many coming up, I've already been checking out how to register for the auction!

I'm hoping "customised" != fake, but rather the legitimate modifications that Jeff has listed out here.

Interesting to know where to draw the line between the two though.

I really like the way gold looks with blue (that lapis lazuli look, I guess) and wondered why Heuer didn't use this combo, but generally went with champagne dials for its gold plated watches.

So I sourced a 110.515 CHN case:

and an absolutely mint 110.573 B dial:

with the intention of mating them to create a watch for personal use, one that Heuer itself had never made. But that last point gave me pause for thought and I got cold feet. I never would have sold it as such, had I ever wanted to part with it, it would have been as separate parts again. But that thought of creating a Franken, even if it was only for me to wear, was too much of a deterrent and I am holding on to them as parts in case I ever need to swap them for more worn parts on the same watch model.

So, in a very real sense that would have been a customised watch. And probably some people would be happy to go down that route. I personally decided not to.

Meh, a week to wait for the catalogue? Very interested to see what will be in the sale...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE