The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Message from Patrizzi & Co. re "Heuer Only" Auction

I think Patrizzi has a deep knowledge of vintage watches market, he is first of all a businessman. The Heuer-dedicated auction is the proof of this. He wants to be the first, he wants to take an active part in this growing brand.
The big problem is that filling an auction with 'good' Heuers is almost impossible. You can find on the market 100-200 good Rolexes, but how many good Heuers can you collect for an auction? 20? 30? The production has been very low, and not all the watches survived. Also, traders don't have much of them in stock, and collectors often sell only to 'upgrade' their collection to higher standards. The result is that, to fill the auction, they had to list zero Nos watches and many pieces with a lot of wear and parts replaced (incorrectly).
Second problem: who authenticates that watches? Today the only source of information in the world are OTD and Arno's book, great works, but there are still arguments to fill, e.g. the serials database. I don't know who expertises the watches, i see that in this auction, in the next-day lots, has been listed a Rolex with a well-known, non genuine, dial (the 'Tuscan' dial). And we can't say there is lack of information about Rolexes!
Third, the prices: is seems that Daytonas and Bunds are now more precious than Sifferts and McQueens...

So, my weak opinion is that this auction will be great advertising for the Heuer world, but the quality of the lots is not what we expected.
I look forward to see the results, because, now, i'm not able to imagine the reaction of the market to this quantity of watches, in such conditions, at those prices.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE