The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Patrizzi, opinion based on evidence

I originally asked for some patience to actually see the watches before criticising the auction.
Now I have had a chance to look at the pictures and my view is .......hmmm.

Good points : there look like there are some really very nice and very desirable watches in the auction.
But I do have to agree there is a lot of second rate stuff.

Now I did say not every Heuer collector can own a NOS watch, so let's not be too harsh on collectors who have watches with some problems. My issue isn't really that.
It is more in the descriptions and pricing. The pricing just ignores the condition and problems (wrong hands, etc) with the watch. If a guy is looking for an entry level Heuer as a first step, or a beater, maybe he can pick something up cheap as it is not perfect. But the prices for the poor stuff are not that different from the good watches, which doesn't seem very reasonable. Have a look at the Skippers - the difference between the low price for the middle one (lot 60) which is a mess, wrong hands, and the 11063, which looks pretty nice, is 200 euro... it doesn't make sense.

Secondly, and this is worse really, the descriptions are a joke. I don't have time to pick out the best examples, but just one random one: look at lot 3, an Autavia 1163 GMT. Dial and hands look ok, but the first thing you notice is the horrific repolishing job done on the case, with not even the slightest effort made to make it resemble the correct finish, and the bezel is in pretty bad condition as well. In the description, the case condition is described as "very good, slight scratches"...."very good"!!! I'd hate to see a bad condition case!

Anyway, that is my rant, let's see how it goes - I would imagine some high prices for the good ones, and alot of unsold "problem" watches.

regards
Shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE