The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Simple Explanation, Gentlemen: Lack of Expertise

Based on my experience with the Patrizzi group, over the last two weeks, I would say that they had good intentions, and good integrity, but they have insufficient expertise with the vintage Heuers. So they can describe the functions of the watch, state the dimensions, indicate the construction of the case, describe the hands, etc., but they simply did not realize that they were looking at a watch that has serious problems. Yes, the physical properties of each element is described accurately; no, the person writing the descriptions does not have the expertise to realize that these elements do not belong on this watch. So, of course, the overall "Condition" and "Estimate" of the value are hopelessly off base, in many cases.

It is very simple, but unfortunate . . . Patrizzi & Co. did not have sufficient expertise to stage a successful auction of the vintage Heuers. In fact, it was probably impossible for anyone to produce a good auction from this particular collection. Patrizzi sorted down from something like 200 pieces in the collection, and first offered 129 in the auction . . . next, after I reviewed the catalog for exactly one hour, they lost 25 of the frankens, fakes and specials . . . next, the vintage collectors find significant problems with many of the remaining watches . . . so what is left of this auction? Unless, of course, there are buyers who either are not well informed about the details of these watches or will buy them anyway. Maybe this is how it will unfold, but I am not optimistic.

It is very difficult (or maybe impossible) for such an auction to be successful, without experts (and expertise) in the subject. I feel very bad for the Patrizzi group . . . they seem to be entirely well intentioned and trying to do the right thing, but the good intentions simply cannot make up for a lack of information and expertise.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I originally asked for some patience to actually see the watches
: before criticising the auction.
: Now I have had a chance to look at the pictures and my view is
: .......hmmm.

: Good points : there look like there are some really very nice and
: very desirable watches in the auction.
: But I do have to agree there is a lot of second rate stuff.

: Now I did say not every Heuer collector can own a NOS watch, so
: let's not be too harsh on collectors who have watches with some
: problems. My issue isn't really that.
: It is more in the descriptions and pricing. The pricing just
: ignores the condition and problems (wrong hands, etc) with the
: watch. If a guy is looking for an entry level Heuer as a first
: step, or a beater, maybe he can pick something up cheap as it is
: not perfect. But the prices for the poor stuff are not that
: different from the good watches, which doesn't seem very
: reasonable. Have a look at the Skippers - the difference between
: the low price for the middle one (lot 60) which is a mess, wrong
: hands, and the 11063, which looks pretty nice, is 200 euro... it
: doesn't make sense.

: Secondly, and this is worse really, the descriptions are a joke. I
: don't have time to pick out the best examples, but just one
: random one: look at lot 3, an Autavia 1163 GMT. Dial and hands
: look ok, but the first thing you notice is the horrific
: repolishing job done on the case, with not even the slightest
: effort made to make it resemble the correct finish, and the
: bezel is in pretty bad condition as well. In the description,
: the case condition is described as "very good, slight
: scratches"...."very good"!!! I'd hate to see a
: bad condition case!

: Anyway, that is my rant, let's see how it goes - I would imagine
: some high prices for the good ones, and alot of unsold
: "problem" watches.

: regards
: Shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE