The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Discussion topic.
In Response To: Re: Discussion topic. ()

My preference is for the serial and model (from somewhere around 68/69 on) references to be intact, on those models that had them (it's worth being aware that there is some variation by model as to where and if the case is stamped). The references being legible is also nice, but doesn't always happen after 40-odd years - if some of the numbers are obscured, I would prefer it to be from general wear and tear than polishing.

Having the serial helps with record keeping, but is also a useful check in making sure the serial is correct for the period of the watch and thus originality - basically a rough test for the watch having been assembled from parts. If I was offered a watch that would normally have references but apparently never did, then I would be looking closely for other signs of it being a put together and for that to be taken into account when negotiating price.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE