The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Let me add a question to your two

And one that probably can't be as easily answered with one word. Or maybe it can.

Does it give an avenue for someone who just likes the look of the watch to buy it, leaving a vintage example available to someone who really appreciates it?

Not to say that our putative buyer wouldn't appreciate the vintage one, of course, but if they were just making a fashion statement, they will be happier with the ease of purchase and warranty support of the modern watch. Or will they find out there used to be a red one, decide it just has to be that colour (daaahhhling) and buy the vintage one anyway?

Or will it be the start of the vintage bug? We have a case study right here of someone who came looking for info on the Monza reissues and got sucked into the vintage craze (no names, no pack drills, of course. Yes, it's Richard :) ).

Horses for courses, and many routes into collecting too. I'd wager a fair few of us got into Heuers through motor racing because they have such strong links, but I bet too there are others who aren't into motor racing at all and couldn't care less!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE