The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Aged to Perfection
In Response To: Re: Aged to Perfection ()

Hi Francesco,

Well, of course you are right and obviously your are in a very good position as you own both - the well-worn-patina model and the NOS-model. That is the best of both worlds. Would be nice to see a picture of both types (NOS vs. well-worn) side-by-side. The good thing about NOS is that they also have some patina - at least the tritium should have changed a little - and I think that is the magic - a process that needs about 10, 20 or 30 years that change the color of tritium and with that the whole character of a watch.

cheers, christoph

: Hi Christoph:
: congrats for your new entry. I really liked it and love the idea of
: wearing it 'casually', with not much anxiety that a NOS would
: have given you. As far as how a vintage watch should look,
: well.... I really don't know....The risk of putting again the
: two school of thoughts against each other is very high and maybe
: would not take us very far. I own both "patina' nicely aged
: watches as well as NOS condition watches and I can't tell you
: both look fantastic. Maybe there is no rule of thumb here...
: When I lean heavily toward the 'patina' side, I move to the car
: business and ask myself, "Would I want a '59 Ferrari 250 in
: NOS conditions or with 'patina'?" Well, of course, it
: depends....
: Greetings,
: Francesco

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE