The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Why is the L5100 Speedy the Holy Grail? Good question...
In Response To: Re: Heuer and Lemania Part Two ()

: That Omega's pretty funky! Does it attract the same sort of price
: premium as the Speedmaster with Lemania 5100? Which I've never
: really understood; nice watch and all that but I think there are
: plenty more classic and attractive Speedies...

Hi Mark, I do confess that I have come to learn that tastes do vary over years, yet some things remain the same and have a timeless fascination. The L5100 Speedmaster Automatic, ref. 376.0822 (aka Chuck's "Holy Grail" or "Automatic in Pro case)seems to me to fit squarely in there, alongside of course with the 'real' Moonwatch which is the chronograph IMHO for all the love I have for Heuer.
So what's so special about the HG and make it so desirable for a lot of collectors? A whole lot of stuff indeed:
1. It has the best Speedy case and design, i.e. the same as the Moonwatch.
2. It has all those features that the Moonwatch lacks: day and date, automatic winding, 24-hour indication
3. It has the diamond-shaped chrono second (trotteuse), so iconic and yet so often dropped in other Speedies
4. It is so rare: less than 1800 made, only for one year, just advertised in a single brochure.

It's a bit like the Autavia Diver P100 in a lot of senses.

Overall, it's really something so special: not a coincidence it was the favourite of a cognoscente like Chuck! And before you ask: yes, I'd love to own one myself but it's way beyond my reach...

Cheers.
Fabrizio

PS But then apart from the Moonwatch which are the 'more attractive' Speedies?! Maybe we could switch this discussion to Zowie...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE