The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: New home for Carrera
In Response To: New home for Carrera ()

It's a nice one Laurent. The dial in particular looks in great condition.

I'm a big fan of the second generation of Carrera, as this sample shows:

And I would agree that it does tend to be a little underrated sometimes. That makes it a good start for someone looking to own a Carrera, or indeed a first Heuer.

This one is row E-22 in our Carrera table, though that row could use a little adjustment now that we have a complete catalogue from 1972 rather than ones that focus on Cal 15 watches. The giveaway is the numbering of the hour register - showing each number from 1-12 was part of a general dial revision for all Heuer models that came in in 1972. The 1153 continued in this same configuration until replaced by the 110.253 in 1977, which was itself just a light reworking of the 1153 as its reference number suggests. So your watch is somewhere in that '72-77 period.

Here it is showing its face in that 1972 full catalogue:

The eagle eyed amongst you might spot that the catalogue watch has second execution hands, i.e. narrower than the hands on Laurent's watch. The fatter hands came shortly afterwards, better sized to relate to the double indices also introduced with the dial revision but it seems that some watches did actually make it to the wild with double indices and narrow hands, in this case it's not just a catalogue shot.

All in all a good buy Laurent, and doesn't it look good on the GF?!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE