The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A question on Repairers and Daily Storage

Unfortunately I am not the owner of a Heuer (at this stage,) I have 2 Tag Heuer quartzes, an Omega Speedmaster, an auto Seiko diver, plus a couple others. I've just started collecting and at this stage "A" Heuer is my grail. Not being a Bernie Madoff, I am still seeking the information, (mainly from this site) so as to to become an informed and educated buyer. I now simply love the feeling and thought of having a mechanical watch on my wrist, and my quartz buying days are a thing of the past. Over the past 3 months I have learnt a lot and through the excellent resources here have found that my tastes tend towards the simple lines of some of the Carreras and Autavias. Thankfully for my budget, the Monacos just don't do it for me. I feel that I am inclined to be a wearer rather than a storer and with that in mind is my first question.
Some time back I read somewhere someone stating to another to be careful if you take your watch off at night not to scratch the back with the metal bracelet. I thought this somewhat padantic at the time, but I have come to realise that perhaps there is some fact in this. Could anyone be so kind as to give me some basic pointers as to the best way to wear and keep my watches in as near their original state as possible. Eg., Where do all these scratches on the caseback come from? How do you keep a watch you value when you are not wearing it? Is there such a state as watch consciousness? I seem to have it to some degree, and if that is the case, should I wear what some call a "beater".?
Repairers? Living in a small town on the South Coast of NSW Australia, apart from the fact that I just do not get to see a lot of vintage watches in the metal, do I just send my Tags to the Tag Heuer Service Centre in Sydney or Melbourne, bearing in mind that in the future I may desire some more detailed work, and would perhaps like to develop a more personalised experience. Is there anyone else in Sydney that I can send watches of worth to? Can anyone point me in a better direction.
I seem to remember reading (here?) that there are no silly questions, but from previous experience mentioning quartz and Tag here may be pushing the limits, not to mention mentioning Omega and Seiko, but if this be the case, bear with me, everyone needs to start somewhere.
Regards and thanks to all the posters from whom I glean as much information as I can take in.

Messages In This Thread

A question on Repairers and Daily Storage
Some basic advice for daily wearing and storing
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE