The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some basic advice for daily wearing and storing

Hi Yande, welcome here and in the Heuer collecting bug - a very careful approach to start worrying about your Heuer even before buying!
Anyway I think I share most of your worries so I can understand how you feel.
And since nice Heuers are indeed quite rare, it's a real pity to ruin them in any way just when a few tips on careful behaviour can help keep them in good shape, especially for the watch head - I find sellotape on clasp ridiculous and I think a bracelet has all rights to show its age and use.

What I would suggest to you based on what I do myself is quite simple though it may be sometimes boring:

Starting from the most obvious ones:
1. Shield your watch from dirty places, do not use it near the beach or in doing rough DIY etc.
2. Do not flap your watch-wearing arm around too much
3. When you can, wear it under the shirt cuff
4. If the weather is humid or anyway hot, don't wear it too tight on your wrist
5. If you have an aggressive sweat (as I do unfortunately) clean the watchback and the interior of the bracelet regularly, ideally every night or after any time of heavy duty

On the other hand I don't think laying the watch with the back on the bracelet does it any harm, unless of course you then rub them against each other ;-P!
Hope this may be helpful for you, I'm sure most of us have their hints tips and tricks.
Cheers,
Fabrizio

Messages In This Thread

A question on Repairers and Daily Storage
Some basic advice for daily wearing and storing
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE