The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Clarification: Heuer Never Refinished Dials (or Used Them)

Rich:

You wrote, " . . . in general these re-dials fulfilled a service back in the 80s or at least some time after the Monacos had ceased to be sold new . . . Various re-dials for 1133, 73633, 1533 and even PVDs became available . . ."

I'm not sure that I am interpreting your words correctly, but I read them to suggest that Heuer might either (a) refinish a customer's dial, or (b) provide a refinished dial, as part of servicing a Monaco. This struck me as strange, and I realized that in all these years, we have never discussed this point.

I have confirmed with our best expert, here in the US of A, that Heuer never refinished dials or used refinished dials in the service process. He spoke with certainty for Heuer in the US, as well as procedures in Switzerland. He confirmed that, if a dial could not be cleaned, then Heuer might replace the dial, but the replacement dial would be identical to the original dial, in all respects. He believes that these replacement dials came from the same production "runs" as the dials used in the original Monacos. If the watch was within warranty or did not show signs of abuse, then the replacement would be at no charge; if it was out of warranty, then the new replacement dial would be provided for around $25.

We can discuss this further, but the notion of a "factory refinished" dial or Heuer furnishing any sort of refinished dial seems to be incorrect.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Tim

: I think we're agreed that in general these re-dials fulfilled a
: service back in the 80s or at least some time after the Monacos
: had ceased to be sold new. The Monaco suffered on two fronts
: from seal melt which attcked the dial and from (we suspect)
: being barely water resistant. Actually on this last point the UK
: service master we met at the Bonhams lunch recently suggested
: indeed it was flawed as a water resistant watch (which it was
: sold as). Various re-dials for 1133, 73633, 1533 and even PVDs
: became available and i imagine (as nobody collected and prized
: watches in quite the same way back then) there was no issue...of
: course today, its the original dial where much of the value
: lies, and in a re-dial the value is much less.

: Rich

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE