The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A tale of an idiot?

Ok I confess, I bought a couple of watches at Arno's event. Not too much buyers regret (yet)...

I bought the solid gold camaro 7228. I guess it was the world record price for a camaro for about 12 minutes, after which a beautiful steel 7220 NT sold for about 50% more, so the record didn't last long. The 7228 just looked amazing in the metal. I love the history of the gold 1158 Carrera but I don't love the case design. The camaro just seemed cooler, and (A LOT) cheaper. My other justification was it seems like a very very rare watch (but as I said elsewhere, rarity and value are different things). Anyway, pretty happy. Some pics when I get the chance.

I bid on a few other things, desperately trying to decide whether to go for one more crack at the transitional after being outbid, but then let it go. Maybe a mistake. Others went wildly out the range I considered reasonable. After a few more tries I succeeded with the Monaco 73633 B. Truly amazing condition and I loved the sleeve of the box as well. Very expensive compared to prices in the B.H. era (before haslinger), but sort of ok in the craziness of the auction room. Might not look so ok if prices go back to normal, but hey it is really an amazing piece, unlikely to be seen in this condition, so pretty happy.

So why entitle the post "A Tale of an Idiot?" ...Well, I found one of the first posts I ever made on onthedash, in 2004, where people where discussing the craziness of an 1163 GMT selling for above $2k, and I confessed to the forum that I was the guy that had pushed things to this stupid price. The confession was titled "A Tale of an Idiot", so I thought I'd use that title again for this post. It makes good reading, 2004 seems like a long, long time ago. It was the first Autavia I ever bought, first of quite a long line...

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=2809

Messages In This Thread

A tale of an idiot?
Re: A tale of an idiot?
Re: 2456
also...
Re: Congrats and thanks
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE