The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Autavia Project II (PIC*)
In Response To: Re: Autavia Project II (PIC*) ()

I always wonder why these SNs are so rare. It's a fine-looking watch; contemporary Carreras sold very well with silver/white dials (off the top of my head, maybe 75% of the first generation Carreras we see have S dials); in some US literature the silver Carrera dial is even referred to as the "standard" dial. And yet silver-dialled Autavias (in these iterations, more came along later of course) are so rarely seen, and aren't in brochures and price lists. Prototypes, to special order perhaps, but I just can't understand the thinking - would these not have sold just as well as the black dials?

I admit, I can't see a silver dial working on the first executions with large registers and dauphine hands, though in part that will be because I am so used to those in black. But once they move to the smaller registers? Well, why not, we've seen that the silver works well from the few examples that have come up. Anyone have any insights, it has me stumped?!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE