The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Seafarer at $2,738, with Seven Bidders in Final 17 Secon

I lean towards refinished - looks like they copped out of writing "Abercrombie & Fitch Co" in the arc that we see on all the other Seafarers and the Seafarer script itself is at too shallow an angle and lacks the detailed flourishes of other examples.

The numbers on almost all of the Seafarer's 12 hour registers are upright, the exception being the late one in the 2446 case, so they might not have had a reference when refinishing that register with the rotated numbers. They are quite well done though, looking pretty close to the originals - one giveaway is the "sail" of the 4 having a convex edge rather than the straight edge we see on originals.

The arabics look refinished too, not quite wide enough, but interesting to note that this was a transitional watch even before the refinishing - outer minutes scale and arabic numerals only at 11, 12 and 1 but the later, smaller numerals on the 30-minute register. It also has the plainer 4-quadrant tide register of the later watch, rather than the graduated "sunrise" version of earlier watches.

So my feeling is a watch that was heavily patinated in some areas and has been refinished in those areas, rather than a whole dial redial.

Messages In This Thread

Seafarer at $2,738, with Seven Bidders in Final 17 Seconds
My Conclusion: Refinished Dial / Replaced Hands
seafarers & mareos
Re: Seafarer at $2,738, with Seven Bidders in Final 17 Secon
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE