The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
seafarers & mareos

I had a look at that one as well. My instinct is that it was refinished - I didn't like that the sub regs were super shiny but the rest of the dial worn, it looked weird. Also the seafarer script looked wrong by instinct, I didn't do a detailed check. But again, that is just an opinion I don't consider myself such an expert on these.

One thing I would say, is that on all the 100% original seafarers and mareographes I have seen in the metal, the sub dial markings and numbers really look hand painted. I presume it was a stylistic thing that they did with the dial design, as these were mass produced watches, so unlikely to be done by hand(?). I am still kicking myself as I saw a beautiful (but worn) very early mareographe 4-5 years ago (martin at portobello market) and I didn't buy as I thought the tide markings looked hand painted ... little did I know that they all look like that! Sometimes instinct is wrong, sometimes it is right..

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE