The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Monaco service hands

This just sold at Christies http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5431116 4800CHF plus buyers fees. When i first saw it on my itouch i thought it might be a redial due to the colour but its clear to see on my laptop its original (and the dial despite the bad scratch is in pretty good condition still), just appears they ramped up the contrast when they took the pic! Hope it went to someone within the community.

On another matter but relating to this piece, we really need to have a word with Tag heuer about this habit of not very nice reluming (imo) and the application of service hands. Bad enough to see these service hands on std production Monacos, but on a transitional...can't they just make some replicas of the square steel hands? How much would that cost? I expect they also take off the old lume to relume and then match the white lume on the hands :-(

Speaking of service hands, a chap in Australia has been mailing me about a conversation between him, his AD and TH in Switzerland re the overhaul of his 1133B std production variant. I know TH are now keeping the parts they change, but he is being told he has to have the original hands replaced in case the lume flakes off and makes its way into the movement (regarding warranty issues)...frankly i think this is a bit poor. If they insist on doing so i really think they should go to the trouble of getting a batch of original style (thicker lume) hands made up. I know i'm fussy but the thin lume examples, just do not look quite right.

Perhaps it's just me, maybe i'm being too picky and i'm just having a funny 5 minutes!

I'm off to put the kettle on and calm down!

Cheers

Rich
www.heuermonaco.co.uk

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE