The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Monaco service hands
In Response To: Re: Monaco service hands ()

Hi Peter

I thought it was just me who cared ;-)

I think it’s quite a serious concern and let’s be honest Tag Heuer are pretty happy to make the most of the marketing opportunity that vintage presents to them, i think it’s only fair they listen to a few concerns.

I have never sent anything to them, but i know many OTD'ers who have sent watches which have had to go back, or where they have had parts unreturned (i know this is their new "ethos"). I'd be less than happy to see a set of original Monaco hands (which id' value at £400-500, stay in the Tag Heuer parts bin, or worse still be thrown away.

I think at the least it needs highlighting so owners can inform Tag Heuer they don’t want hands changed, or they don’t want their dial lume knocked off and replaced by new. This last point really bugs me, they should be able to match new hand lume to old dial lume pretty accurately. But it's much better to keep the original lume which often has been applied in a beautiful dome, modern lume application at service tends to come off pretty poorly in comparison to the original.

Most Monaco parts have now gone from the TH vintage service dept, certainly on Monaco the approach of expecting nos parts to come back are remote.

Cheers

Rich

: Hi Rich

: I agree so much with you!

: We know that TH Service Department has several NOS parts for our
: watches, so it is tempting to have them refurbish your watches,
: just to get hand on the parts - but on the other hand we don't
: know what damage they might do to the originality of the watch,
: like strange hands or new white lume where you don't want it.

: What will they do if you send a Autavia 2446C without hands and
: bezel - will you get it back with NOS bezel and new hands? That
: way you can keep the original parts.

: I have had two watches done by TH and both had to go back for very
: simple reasons, like a lot of the screws not tightened!

: So who is phoning Jean-Christophe?

: Peter, Denmark
: www.watchsite.dk

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE