The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
First Heuer

longtime lurker, occasional poster, finally added the first Heuer to my collection. My interest is in vintage chronographs, principally Zeniths, but with a smattering of Universal Geneve and Gallet, and assorted odds and ends besides. After extended grazing on this forum and other random Heuer encounters in the watch world, some with members of this forum, I decided I wanted an early Carrera. These strike me as cleanly designed models, elemental chronographs with a satisfying clarity of purpose. Missed a couple, and then the very pleasant memory of a 1967 BRG MGB that occupied my weekends in high school and into college combined with the general attractiveness of the watch caused me to add this one.

Initial reactions? Very satisfied. The matte black makes an excellent watch face, and the contrast with both the silver 'factory' dial markings and the white MG-related markings is a nice detail. The size, with the aggressive lugs, is perfect. The mechanical action is direct and simple. I love that there is no tachymeter. The very bombe crystal is sure to attract damage on the other hand, but gives it a terrific look. I don't know whether I will add other Heuers, as I am a bit of a completist when it comes to collecting and Zenith absorbs most of my resources, but I've got no regrets about this one.

Finally, and note of admiration for the general cohesiveness and collegiality of the forum, which I have remarked on before. It's a model of interaction among of dedicated enthusiasts.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE