The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Fantastic! thanks Francesco; some geographic thoughts
In Response To: This is for you, Dan... ()

That brings back a lot of memories; if you were a New Yorker for as long as I was, the City never leaves you. Just to the west of your shot is the Paramount building with the clock tower and globe ornament. Although not the best known or biggest tower in New York, I think that building is emblematic of the glory days when radio, tv, and film were all going strong.

You are entirely correct about the bling factor; for the most part, when it comes to watches, New Yorkers are about the wow and status factor, ergo the preponderance of Rolexes, Breitlings, etc. Unlike in Europe, there does not seem to be a collectors "ethos" except for isolated individuals. Like you, I always had my eyes peeled for Heuers and rarely came across them even at the vintage dealers. I also cant recall seeing a single vintage Heuer on the wrist of anyone in Manhattan except for me, and that includes 20 years of commuting via every form of transit imaginable and walking the streets daily!

I remember once an Italian couple staring at me for a whole Amtrak ride from Boston back to New York. Close to the end they finally came over to tell me how fantastic my Calculator was--no Americans ever even noticed the watch...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE