The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Amer, a beauty..
In Response To: Re: Amer, a beauty.. ()

Sure can. It's a common misconception that tritium has a colour - in fact, it's colourless and the lume colour depends on the phosphors that are doped with the tritium. The same goes for SuperLuminova, they can alter the chemical mix and the dyes used to give a wide range of different colours. In fact, it's surprisingly wide, take a look at the Luminova colour chart:

Not sure what colour the black ones would luminesce! Reminds me of a line from Hitchhiker's: "Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."

As for date, that serial is in the first batch of 7753s I have records for, so I'd be tempted to pitch it as more likely to be '69/70 than 70/71. Chances are it's 1970.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE