The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: OFF TOPIC: Young Timers
In Response To: OFF TOPIC: Young Timers ()

An after hours project that actually made it to production!

It's quite well known in the UK that there was an M version - we didn't get the coupé bodyshell with any other engine, you see. So all the UK cars were Ms, probably more with S54s than S50s as they took a little while to make their way over.

Given the difference in sophistication between the M Coupé's E30 derived rear suspension and the E46 M3's, it's probably a good thing the S54 was a little down on power in the former installation! Not quite the handling of an original E30 M3 either, but a fun way to learn about oversteer and opposite lock :)

E30 M3s would be a decent investment, but those are near impossible to find in unmolested condition now, even in their homeland. Too many badly tuned, crudely lowered or just plain crashed :( The Z1s in the run out colours (Pur Blau and Violett (called magic violet in the UK, don't know if there was a specific name in Germany, the later Techno Violett is a bit different shade)) used to make good money; is that still the case Alex? Those colours are pretty rare on Z1s, though I did see one delivered new to Schorsch Meier in Starnberg in grey. Don't know if that was a generally available colour or a one-off but I've never seen another, and it's not like BMW Individual was offered on the Z1. I have Z1 brochures somewhere, will look in those.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE