The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Steel hands with black inserts...

...were definitely factory fitment for Carreras from the launch of the 1153, with serials in the block 147xxx - 150xxx. Also for the manual Carreras in that same case (except crown on the right) from 151xxx to 156999.

Within that range, though, we do see the odd exception with second execution hands and in two examples even third execution. In fact, I even own one with second execution hands. It is however, at the top end of the first batch of 1153s so it was possible they were using the hands with painted edges at that point. For the earlier examples, and any using third execution hands, I have to conclude those hands have been replaced later, at service or elsewhere.

But we were talking Autavias, and those seem to use the plain steel hands without inserts at launch, i.e. in the same timeframe as Carreras were using hands with inserts. This 1970 catalogue even shows the Autavias with plain hands as opposed to the Carrera's with inserts:

http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Catalogs/1970_Chronograph_Catalog/

How reliable catalogues are, however, is open to question as some early ones also show Carreras with plain hands and I have never seen an unmolested second gen Carrera with anything other than the insert hands, painted edge hands of two different widths or the different hands used on the 110.253 revisions. Never plain steel hands.

I wonder if some of the Autavias found themselves with Carrera hands at some point? Obviously they fit, as the pinion holes are identical, given the movements are also the same. Whether at service, or later is quite difficult to tell at this time. What sort of frequency do we see Autavias with these hands?

One possible theory - Heuer was slightly surprised at the scale of the response to the Viceroy promotion, this seems fairly evident. This probably lead to some stock shortages and a short term solution may well have been to fit Carrera hands at the factory, given that Carrera parts were probably stocked in higher numbers. Is there any correlation between Autavias with insert hands and that promotion? I remember having seen the Viceroy ad, but can't find it now - anyone recall the exact configuration of the watch shown in that ad?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE