The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Black Bezel on the 1158? Unique Autavia 1163?

Yes, it appears that the 1158 has the light dial, which would make it an "S", but we never had an "S" with the dark regsiters.

We also never had a 1158, of the S or CH variety, with the dark inner bezel. Have a look here, to see the known executions.

It just makes me wonder what combination of photography and work in the art department could have produced some of these illustrations? The 1163 Autavias also represent some combinations that we have never seen in the metal -- 1163 with black dial, Tachy bezel, 3-6-9-12 on the chrono hour recorder and polished steel hands? No such thing, to my knowledge. And why were they selling 1163s, in 1975? They were gone from the Heuer catalogs in 1974.

To me, this page confirms that, after the Viceroy promotion was over, dealers could buy the "Viceroy" execution with the choice of bezels, MH or Tachy. I suppose no customer would have complained if he had received 12 numerals on the hour recorder and brushed steel hands.

It's all very odd, with the Heuer catalogs and the dealer catalogs.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++

The "1158 CH" depicted is actually an 1153 S :) And the digital solid-state one is a model I've not seen before; maybe short-lived and replaced by the Chronosplit.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE