The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Audi Sport - Exciting stuff Jim.. Show us pics!

Lots of them here Lanny: http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs//86.1000_Series/AudiSport/

Not surprising they're not easy to find - without knowing what movement they use, there's little clue to where they are tucked away on OTD!

As for the cars, Audi needed to make at least 200 to homologate the Sport Quattro but consensus seems to be that 224 were made in total. This is probably down to the homologation requirement being 200 cars annually and an additional 20 cars required to homologate an "evolution" model. The other 4? Who knows, probably prototypes. The number that made it to paying customers and thus may or may not have had an accompanying watch is much more debated, it seems. Some are saying that is as low as 164. If the watch was to be either gifted or sold alongside the Sport Quattro, I imagine Heuer produced a number of watches equivalent to the known variable, i.e. the initial 200 cars required to homologate the S1 for Group B rallying. The lower number of cars sold to the public then leaves a few watches to be disposed of in other ways, perhaps sold off in a handful of Audi dealers to "general" Audi owners. So it's not impossible that both the "buy" and "issued" theories could be correct.

The Sport Quattro always makes me smile. It's all about getting an SWB car for rallying but for the road car they left in the nicely upholstered rear seats... which were unusable as the front seats were backed up right against them!

The short-lived Group B rallying (because of too many fatal accidents) produced a lot of quite spectacular road cars thanks to these homologation requirements.

Lancia 037 Stradale:

Lancia Delta S4 Stradale:

Ford RS200:

Peugeot 205 T16:

And the absolutely hilarious MG Metro 6R4 Clubman:

You know, looking at the MG, I think I know where I can lay the blame for the chav cars now with their extruded plastic blight and large bore exhausts dissipating what little power their just over 1 litre engines can generate as noise...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE