The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: One Thing for Sure: A Hobby for "Long-Termers"

I can definetely vouch for the frustration felt. I took receipt of a Wakmann triple date chrono about 6 months ago knowing it had some issues. Unbeknown to me was the fact that finding NOS parts for a Valjoux 730 movement was like trying to find the Holy Grail. It took me a month and a half to find the requisite parts, an agonising week waiting on them being shipped from Ohio to Cape Town all the while hoping they would not get lost in the post. The watch has now been with my watch man for the last 4 months and 1 week. The repairs consisted of replacing the day date star and day star wheel and having the movement dismantled, cleaned checked oiled and re-assembled. The case required stripping back to base metal, filling and re-chroming, NOS pushers were also sourced and replaced. I got an e-mail from the man yesterday saying the watch was ready, I am currently at work away from home due back home in a week today. Am I excited to see my watch again, yes and I have not lost interest in it at all, I cannot wait to get it back. There is however a caveat to this tale, my wife took delivery of a beautiful Clebar two dial chrono last week which I forgot I had bought:) and the dilemma is which one to wear first, and then how to rotate them with the other 17 watches I have. My 72 1153N Carrera is also in being serviced at the moment and I cannot wait to get that back either. It is an almost mint example which I got with original GF bracelet, box and papers and all that for $1250 what a steal that was. The Carrera I may consider trading as I really have my heart set on an Autavia GMT possibly 1163 or a 2446.....

: One aspect of this hobby that is both relaxing and frustrating
: is the (sometimes) slow pace of things. Ironic that by the time
: the repair is done, your tastes have moved to another place. Oh
: well . . . there are new enthusiasts who will be happy to have
: this one, if you go that direction.

: One thing about the repairs that take so long: Sometimes, getting
: your old watch back can feel like getting a new watch!!

: Thanks for providing this update.

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE