The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
To restore hands on Jo(rdan) Siffert? *PIC*

I just want to say what an incredible forum this is. It's fantastic to see so many passionate people keeping the flame alive for these unique and historical watches.

I jumped both feet in and my first vintage Autavia purchase was the ''Jo(rdon) Siffert on eBay a few weeks ago. This was the early Siffert for sale by the watch dealer in Jordan. Well, I received the watch last week and was thrilled that it was all there with the coveted GF bracelet and in good shape as well!

Not knowing when the last time it was serviced, I Fedexed her to La Chaux-de-Fonds and it was delivered yesterday. I have yet to hear from TAG Heuer customer service but in my letter I explicitly stated that there should be no polishing. All I need is the movement serviced plus I thought it would be good to start a documentation of care and thought the factory was a good place to start and make sure all parts are 100% original.

I do have some questions concerning an inner ring discoloration, reluming, and what do about the hands. There is some discoloration at the 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions on the inner ring. You can see in the first pic below the part that is at 12 o'clock. And the part of the minute and hour hounds where lume would be are see-through. The blue seconds hand also has a small portion which is metal/rust color. Can TAG even replace these? Would I even want to? Replace them and keep the originals in an airtight container? Could they be repaired/polished? Something that is a bit annoying is that the first row of links on the bracelet which is closest to the top lugs isn't laying flat. The links look fine so not sure why its doing that. It is very slight but I notice it.

I'm leaning towards just enjoying the patina but look forward to hearing your thoughts. I thought it would be neat to show both the original and re-edition together!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE