The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Enjoy the "Stealth" Aspect of the Hobby

In terms of the conspicuous consumption of luxury watches, seems that there is a big difference between the folks who collect the flashy, "bling" watches -- Big Bang, Breitling, Mille, AP and the list goes on and on and on -- and the folks who collect the "quieter" watches, which may be just as valuable.

For example, today I wore the Carrera shown below, and kind of liked the fact that it went unnoticed . . . just another watch. Yesterday was the old Explorer . . . only three hands. Neither watch attracted any comments or second looks.

Of course, wear these special watches among the enthusiasts, and that's a different story. But when among the general public, these are sleepers, and that's the way I like it. Perhaps this is a distinction between "luxury" goods and other categories.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Here's an interesting piece, on luxury watches as male status
: symbols --

:
: http://www.watchesonnet.com/luxurywatches/watches-as-a-male-status-symbols/

: Thoughts?

: Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE