The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I'm more circumspect than Paul
In Response To: Re: Carrera 1153 ()

Though we have a silver/silver dial in the 1158, I suspect this one in steel has tended to be the same watch more than once.

And whilst I'd welcome a silver/silver dial in an 1153 as a follow on from the 3647, this one doesn't look right to me. I'd say the registers have been ground down and repainted. If you look closely, the remnant of the bevel at the edge of the registers can still be seen, as well as the circular marks of the tool used - they may also be residual ridges from the original finish. The numbers, while they're about as good as any redial I've seen, aren't quite there - the shape of the 6 and 9 is a bit off and the numbers aren't as wide or as fine as they are on the original printing. The 3 is not in line with the 9 either - it, and the stroke next to it, have been shifted upwards a noticeable amount. A tired cliché wouldn't account for that movement, or for the numbers being a shade too narrow. The difference between the weight of the various lines in both registers is not quite enough either.

I'd conclude it's an original dial but with the registers having been refinished - and that being the main attraction, with what was apparently a new configuration, I think the watch becomes less interesting as a result. Register needles are both incorrect (and don't even match!), timekeeping hands might be ok (some discolouration along the centre line of the hour hand looks like it might once have been the black stripe that should be there) but the not great relume is falling out, Tachy could be rotated to the correct 3 o'clock position but you'd still have (what I think is) a messed about dial in a pretty tired case.

I think it's on sale at the moment and not yours already Michael? Anyone could still buy it and have a different and interesting looking Carrera, I just don't think it's all original.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE