The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some successes and failures (part I)
In Response To: Scan Weekend: Strap It On!! ()

Love the posts so far, very interesting topic. Here's some of my trials and errors..

I really like NATO straps and they are very "in" now, even outside the WIS hardcore, but I don't think they always work on vintage Heuers. But this one just is so "right" on a NATO strap - it's an Israel Defence Forces watch, with the appropriate back case numbers:

This one wins the award for best fit with a non-Heuer bracelet. The bracelet is actually from a Baume&Mercier vintage quartz watch I owned. It fits the look of the Cortina perfectly. I am pretty sure the Cortina came with a similar bracelet. As the Cortina and B&M were from similar periods (early to mid 80s) it's likely Heuer and B&M sourced their bracelets from the same supplier. Well, whatever, it still looks really good:

Here's an experiment that was not a success. I liked it the first few days as the diver strap is super comfortable, and I liked the match with the hands, but after a while I got tired of the look. I just didn't fit the watch, would have been better on a Doxa...

Finally, here's another experiment which I thought worked really well, but lost some votes with other parts of the household. I think it looks great, but my daughter felt it was too effeminate for me, so it was banned. Now it is on a correct Montreal bracelet, and yes it does look better.

I'll post some more as it is a great topic.

PS: I've been using Flickr Bucket, an Appstore app which allows you to drag and drop photos into Flickr direct from the Finder or your favourite image sorting app, with the URL automatically loaded into your clipboard ready for pasting. It's a nice time saver, worth the $1.49 if you are a little lazy like me

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE