The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
you have to talk to alot of contemporay witnesses....

Dear David.....

i agrre with you that its very hard today to find out witch one was really " worn by Steve "...all Monacos were mounted with the origl black Corfam strap too...accept of mine mounted on a steelbrachelet.....

and what a pitty that TagHeuer doesnt have over 40 ty years later ,any records from that period about serial numbers too.....

sorry again.....and as Gerd-Rudiger Lang said , there were no listings or documents about the 20 watches he delivered personally to the set.....

so what to do......Arno Haslinger and myself researched Heuer watches since years and we have spoke to alot of contemporay eye witnesses who where working in the Heuer Factory Switzerland or Germany - like Jack Heuer , J.J. Racine....or Gerd-RĂ¼diger Lang and i regulary meet on our Classicheuer-events ;race drivers like Richard Attwood, Derek Bell , David Piper, Willi Kauhsen , Kurt Ahrens who worked at the set... ....and their mechanicers too..... -to talk about the movie , Heuer watches and whoose days.......

i myself would love to have more seriel numbers for better provement.....

regards

Jasper Bitter

: ... it seems that there is conflicting information about the number
: of Monaco's used on the set of Le Mans and therefore how many
: were actually worn, and used by Steve McQueen. Without solid
: evidence from Heuer or the property master of actual serial
: numbers
of watches used during filming, wouldn't it possible
: to say that any given Monaco was 'worn by Steve McQueen'?? Even
: letters and photographs don't categorically confirm or prove
: that any particular watch in question is a bona fide 'McQueen'
: Monaco without the addition of corresponding seriel numbers
: surely? Maybe there is an itinerary with actual seriels numbers
: listed, just not disclosed?

: Just my thoughts during a quiet lunchtime and not in any way meant
: to upset anyone.

: David H

: P.S. I can't believe I was outbid...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE