The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Question: What It Takes to Fetch $799,500
In Response To: I concur David crazy indeed! ()

Gentlemen:

As bizarre as it seems, the question under discussion is "What does it take to yield a bid of $799,500 for a McQueen-worn Monaco?" While anything can happen -- especially in Hollywood -- I would tend to agree with Mr. Delaney, as I believe that in order to fetch this kind of bid, the watch must have provenance from the Property Master. At the moment, there are exactly two of these watches -- one in the Museum and one soon to be in the hands of the new buyer. The Hollywood memorabilia buyers seem to demand these certificates from the Prop Master, rather than photos, stories, even engraving.

The Maher Monaco -- from Steve's business consultant -- has great McQueen provenance, but seems to me that it is still a step behind the other two, which have the papers from the Prop Master as being worn in the filming. Of course, Jasper has his worn-by-McQueen Monaco and there are a couple of others that we have tracked, but -- with all respect -- they would seem to be less easily "marketable" than the ones with the letters from the Prop Master. But find the right guy with $800K, tell him the story, and maybe he pulls out the check book!!

The fantastic thing, however, is that these other ones seem to be in the hands of passionate collectors, so we can hope that they will not come to market anytime soon!!

Great discussion; exciting time for the collectors!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I have doubts in general about all of these. But then that's just
: my opinion, i'm often the last to be convinced.

: ...and as i mentioned to Jeff it's all about opinions, one persons
: against anothers, am i sure it's from the set? No...am i sure
: it's not? No! and can/will never be totally "put to
: bed". 6 of one and half a dozen of the other from what i
: can see.

: I'm off to buy a ticket!

: R

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE