The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
You Will Not Be My New Watchmaker

Following on my recent fiasco with my watchmaker polishing my Heuer despite instructions and a promise not to, I've found myself in need of a new local watchmaker to do pedestrian tasks. Aside from a problem with the same Heuer that was polished (the hands shifted and are touching), my wife decided to go swimming with her Longines on her wrist. She explained it's water resistant to 30 meters. I explained the watch doesn't care about her rationale.

So the movement (a Cal. L.176 quartz) needs to be replaced. The watch is still in production and the movement is readily available. I had a lukewarm recommendation, and I called and spoke with the watchmaker's wife. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, I was referred by Joe. I would like to know what it would cost to replace a Longines L.176 movement in my wife's watch.
Her: Why?
Me: Why I want to know?
Her: Why does it need replacing?
Me: She took it for a swim.
Her: Why didn't you say that?
Me: Yes, well, in any event, can you tell me what it would cost to put in a new Longines L.176 movement?
Her: You have to bring it in.
Me: You're about an hour drive, and I would really prefer not to have to drive there to find out something you could tell me on the phone.
Her: He has to see it.
Me: To give me a price on replacing the movement?
Her: Maybe the movement doesn't need to be replaced.
Me: Maybe, but if it did, what would it cost?
Her: We won't know until we see it.
Me: Thank you.

Who needs this? If I can't get a straight answer, there is no way I'm putting a watch in your hands.

Scott

Messages In This Thread

You Will Not Be My New Watchmaker
Re: You Will Not Be My New Watchmaker
Re: You Will Not Be My New Watchmaker
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE