The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Two Samples: Earliest 18 Karat Gold Carreras (Ref 2456)

Fascinating to compare the one that I have posted (the first one shown below), with the one that Mark has pulled from our previous discussions (the second one shown below). Perhaps these are the only two 18 karat gold "early" Carreras -- Ref 2456 -- that we have seen, with the dauphine hands.

For the record, the second one shown below sold at an Antiquorum auction in October 2009, at $9,361. Supposedly, the dauphine hands / early dial had been authenticated by TAG Heuer. Negatives were the relume of the dial and the "too high" serial number (100xxx). We had seen it offered on eBay, prior to being authenticated, in October 2006.

The first one shown below has an appropriately low serial number (558xx), and the provenance / chain of ownership is good. One difference that we notice immediately is that this one has a black chronograph second hand and black needles, whereas the Antiquorum sample has these elements in gold. From the legibility / contrast perspective, the black looks better to my eye (also nice to match up with the black printing of the recorders).

Back in 2006 and 2009, we puzzled about the originality of the gold dauphine hands. I am highly confident that these are original / correct for the first 2456 Carreras.

As we approach the "golden anniversary" of the Carrera (in 2013), something kind of neat about seeing these first 18 karat gold Carreras!!

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE