The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Vintage Silverstone - any love?

Hi JW,
I have a feeling you are getting closer to buyin' one. As Rick has said, I've got all 3, so have a few on here - well, as you know, I sold my Fume, so I now have the Red & Blue.

For photos, look here, in the Heuer FlickR pool.. http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w=1487335%40N24&m=pool&q=silverstone

JW, You know my stance, I love them, and I only sold my Fume, as it wasn't getting worn, I always chose either a red or blue instead. But many think the Fume is one of the nicest dials in the range, but it's the Blue version for me, it makes me smile, every single time I look at it.

I love my Red too.. but the Blue just does it for me, I doubt I'll ever part with it.

One thing that you've brought up, and I have never really thought about until now, is that the Silverstone doesn't get discussed that much on here. I don't think that this is because there is no love for it, but I think that it is known, there are 3 variants (+ the Lemania version), so there is little to discuss, it is well documented, and a fine, fine watch. In essence, there is little to discuss, if that makes sense.

When it comes to others, like Carreras, Autavias, there are so many iterations, hundreds, that there is always something to discuss, something to query.. which case, are the hands correct, what about this military version etc etc... it's never ending, so these tend to dominate. Even the Monaco has a bag full of variants. Out of the entire Heuer history, the Cal. 12 Silverstone has to be the most 'clean' range - 3 models, that's it.

I think that there is a lot of love for the Silverstone, and I also think that they are the sort of watch that doesn't change hands that often, they tend to be 'keepers'.. so they aren't talked about, and they aren't that common in the Sales section.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on.. My personal feelings are - if you are looking at them, you will get drawn in, they are a touch of class, they really are. They are smart and sporty, they are simply superb.. and I bet.. I bet, that if you go for the colour you like, and put it on your wrist, it'll make you smile!!

Cheers
Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE