The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carrera 1158 . . . How Many Samples Per Year?

Once upon a time, we used to occasionally discuss scarcity of the vintage Heuers in terms of "Samples Per Year" (SPY) . . . meaning "how many samples could a diligent searcher / collector expect to see in a year?"

Seeing this listing of a Carrera 1158 on Chrono24, it made me think about the number of these watches that we seem to be seeing lately.

https://www.chrono24.com/en/heuer/carrera-automatic-gold-18kt---vintage-1158-ultra-rare--id2268881.htm

Is it my imagination, or are wee seeing at least one of these offered for sale every couple of weeks? I don't intend to count all the 1158s during 2013, but there have been only 13 days in this year, and probably three or four of these 1158 Carreras.

So what is the SPY rating on these? 20 to 30? Even more? What is your estimate? And of course there is the bigger question: If we are seeing this many offered for sale each year, how many were produced, in total? I promise, we have seen at least half of the stated "150 produced", which leads to to think that this estimate is way too low.

Thanks for reactions / impressions / estimates!!

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE