The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
From the Seller's Point of View

Lanny,

As someone who sells more watches remotely...that is either on eBay or to non-face-to-face customers than he buys this way I can tell you that with high end watches there is a bit of stress on the other end too. I like to think that I describe the watches I sell accurately and fairly and that I am honest about any flaws etc. I also believe that I know as much about what I sell (pocket watches mostly) as anyone. However, every time a major piece goes out I have a little stress over the shipping and what the customer will think when he gets the piece. Maybe it will get damaged in shipping. Maybe he will see something I didn't...or...Maybe the buyer is not honest and will switch a part or claim damage and try to get one over on me.

Shipping issues are rare and it is even more rare when they cannot be resolved....but I still worry. The buyer noticing something I didn't is less rare...everybody has their pet peeves but these issues are usually easily resolved...and I have never been taken by a dishonest part switcher (I take very detailed pictures)...but I still worry....a little.

I do the vast majority of my buying and selling fact to face though and frankly I know the vast majority of my customers so I avoid most of the stress. As times change though it gets tougher and tougher to make it without doing online business. I just started an eBay store after resisting for a long time so let the stress begin in earnest.

Best of luck

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE