The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Why NOS
In Response To: Re: Why NOS ()

: Fair point John!

I will admit that this is a pet peeve of mine (probably getting cranky in my old age). I will pay double...or more for a real NOS watch because they really don't show up very often. A lot of watches show up which are described as NOS but I disregard these descriptions along with the description "Mint" unless I can actually hold the watch in my hands or unless the description is given by one of a very few people I know and then only after I talk to them. NOS means only one thing...just as it was delivered to the original dealer from the manufacturer with box papers and with the appearance of never having been sold/worn. An NOS watch can not have been sweated upon let alone scratched. It can not have been buffed or polished or cleaned. It is New Old Stock. (Of course this is only my opinion and given the proliferation of the description it is not the opinion of many dealers.)

An NOS watch is worth double or more to me....but after it has been worn it is not NOS anymore and it is no longer worth double. It may be a great watch but....

Again, I am a cranky old man. Good luck with your quest!

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE