The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Viewing the "Heuer Carrera" Under the "Zodiac"

Mark:

OK, here's the run-down, re visibility of the overprinting:

• With the naked eye, at a casual look or glance: Cannot see the overprinting or anything unusual . . . no clue at all.
  • With the naked eye, under perfect lighting, studying the dial carefully, you can see some irregularity in the paint and the faint outline of elements of the Heuer / shield and individual letters in Carrera
  • With 10X loupe under perfect lighting: You can pick out elements of the Heuer / shield and the individual letters of "Carrera".
  • With a macro lens, under perfect lighting: It took 50 photos for me to get the three that I posted. From most angles, you will not see any clue of the overprinting . . . the "Zodiac" looks entirely normal / the finish on the paint looks perfect.
Of course, the most intriguing question: Has anyone ever taken a Zodiac, Hamilton or Clebar, and tried to turn it into a Heuer Carrera? I would think that this would be very difficult to do well / impossible for it to go undetected!!

Let me add that all this is with the crystal in place . . . I imagine that it would all be much easier with the dial exposed.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: A question to the owners - is the original text visible to the
: naked eye or does it take concerted efforts to be able to see
: it? I'm thinking the latter as this was only discovered
: relatively recently.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE